Your internet browser’s cache stores certain information about webpages you visit, so that they’ll load more quickly in the future. Here are instructions with screenshots on how to clear the cache for all major browsers.
If you wish, you can disable the cache entirely in your browser’s options panel by choosing the ‘do not remember history’ option or simply browse incognito. The cache is used to speed up access to websites by loading data from the local memory rather than downloading it, however you probably will not notice a difference from a high-speed internet connection.
How to Delete History & Cache
If you are unsure of what browser version you are currently using, you can visit whatbrowser.org to find out.
Please select your browser below:
- Chrome v10+
- Chrome v1 – v9
- Safari for iOS, iPhone and iPad
- Safari for Mac OS X
- Safari for Windows
- Internet Explorer 9
- Internet Explorer 8
- Internet Explorer 7
- Mozilla SeaMonkey
- Open the settings on Chrome. Click the menu icon in the upper right corner of the browser to the right. Click settings on the bottom of the menu.A faster way to get there is to press Control+Shift+Delete on a PC, or Shift+Command+Delete on a Mac.
- From settings, click “Show advanced settings…”. It’s located at the very bottom of the settings section.
- Scroll to the privacy section and click “Clear browsing data”.
- Select “Empty the cache”. Uncheck all other options to avoid deleting browser history, cookies and other things you may wish to retain. Change “Obliterate the following items from” to “the beginning of time”.
- Press “Clear browsing data”. You are done!
Chrome v1 – v9
- Once your browser is open, select the Tools menu (the wrench in the upper-right corner) and select Options (Preferences on Mac). Once your browser is open, select the Tools menu (the wrench in the upper-right corner) and select Options (Preferences on Mac).
- On the Under the Hood tab, click the Clear Browsing data… button.
- Select the Empty the cache check-box.
- You can also choose the period of time you wish to delete cached information using the Clear data from this period dropdown menu.
- Click the Clear Browsing Data button.
Safari for iOS, iPhone and iPad
- Click on Settings from the home page.
- Scroll down until you see “Safari.” Click on it to bring up the option page.
- Click “Clear Cookies and Data.”A popup box will appear. Click “Clear Cookies and Data” again to confirm your choice.
Safari for Mac OS X
- Once your browser is open, click the Safari menu and select Empty Cache…
- Click Empty.
Safari for Windows
- Once your browser is open, click the gear icon on the top right.
- Select “Reset Safari…” This will prompt a screen to open.
- Select “Remove all website data” at the very bottom of the prompt. Check or uncheck any other categories you want reset.
- Click “Reset”.
Internet Explorer 9
- Once your browser is open, click the gear icon at the top right to open the Settings menu. Then, select Safety and Delete Browsing History….Or, alternately, you may simply press Ctrl+Shift+Delete to open the Delete Browsing History window.
- Select Temporary Internet Files. You will also need to uncheck all of the other boxes, especially Preserve Favourites website data. This option makes the window also delete objects from websites in your Favourites folder, which is necessary to completely clear your cache.
- Click the Delete button near the bottom of the window to perform the operations (i.e. clear your cache by deleting temporary files).
- Your computer will work for a moment, and then the process will be complete. You’ve successfully cleared Internet Explorer 9’s Cache!
Internet Explorer 8
- Once your browser is open, click the Tools menu. Or, optionally you may simply press Ctrl+Shift+Delete to open the Delete Browsing History window (and skip step 2)
- Click on Delete Browsing History…
- Select Temporary Internet Files.
- Click the Delete button near the bottom of the window to delete your temporary files (i.e. clear your cache).
- If you want the browser to automatically clear the cache whenever you close it, close the ‘Delete Browsing History’ window, select ‘Internet Options’ from the Tools menu, and check the ‘Delete Browsing history on exit’ checkbox.Note: IE8 has a “feature” which retains some cookies even after you clear your cache if you do not UNCHECK the “Preserve Favourites Website Data.” If you truly need to clear your cache, you will want to uncheck this!
Internet Explorer 7
- Open IE 7 and click the Tools menu. Click the Delete Browsing History link at the top.
- Under the Temporary Internet Files heading, click Delete files…
- Click Yes when you see the prompt asking if you are sure you want to delete all temporary files.Alternatively, clear your cache for just the current page you’re visiting. Press and hold [Ctrl] on your keyboard, then Press [F5] or click on the Refresh button (square button on the toolbar with opposite-facing arrows).
- Go to “Clear Recent History”:
- On a PC, click the “Firefox” menu in the top left corner. Next, select the right arrow next to “History >”, and click “Clear Recent History”
- Or press Ctrl+Shift+Delete to open the recent history window.
- On a Mac, from the Tools menu, select “Clear Recent History…”Alternately, you can press Shift-Command-Delete.
- Make sure “Details” is expanded, then select “Cache” from the list. Uncheck everything else.
- In the “Time Range to Clear” drop down, select “Everything”.
- Select “Clear Now”. Your computer will work for a moment, and the process will be complete. You’ve successfully cleared Firefox’s Cache!
- Open the browser.
- Hit the Menu Key.
- Click on the “More Options” button.
- Click on “Settings”
- Hit “Clear Cache.” You’ll then be presented with a verification menu. Hit “Okay” or “Clear Cache” again (depending on the version of your phone) to complete the process.
- Once your browser is open, select the “Settings” menu and click “Delete private data”.
- Make sure the “Delete entire cache” box is checked. Make sure any unwanted categories are left unchecked.
- If you do not wish to delete cookies, saved passwords, etc., remove checks from them in the list.
- Press “Delete”.
- Once your browser is open, click the “Edit” menu and select “Preferences”.
- In the left-side list, open the “Advanced” node and select “Cache”.
- Click the “Clear Cache” button.
- Once your browser is open, click the Settings menu and select Configure Konqueror.
- Scroll down in the list of images and select Cache.
- Click Clear Cache.